As written in the ancient book Izumonokuni Fudoki, this is the spiritual site Susano-o-no-mikoto named after himself and where he chose to end his days. This shrine has a deeper association with him than any other shrines which are dedicated to great gods.  As Susano-o-no-mikoto's main shrine, it was regarded as Susa Grand Shrine since ancient times, and during the Tenmon emperor's period it was called Jyuusansho Daimyoujin, "Grand Shrine of Izumo" it has had many worshippers including the Imperial Court, warlords, shoguns as well as the common people.  It enjoyed great respect from the people. The shrine has been re-built and renovated by warlords and area governors in its long history.

In more recent times, in year 5 of the Meiji era (1872) the shrine was listed as Gousha (region) ranking, the following year it was listed as Kensha (prefecture) ranking, 26 years later it was listed as Kokuhei Shousha (shrines run by the nation and the prefecture).   After World War II, it was listed as Beppyou Jinja (other listed shrines), it is still receiving respect from many worshippers.

Theory by Iwamasa Nobuhiko
"The shrines of Susano-o-no-mikoto are located in many areas inside Izumo Country and beyond, but the true shrine for him is here.  Without knowing this people say Kizuki Taisha (the old name of Izumo Taisha Grand Shrine) or Suga-sha Shrine, or Gion Shrine in Kyoto are the true shrines of Susano-o and this is to be regretted."